A new knowledge base article has been published on our support portal.
In this business scenario, we have three multi-select option set (picklist) fields on the Contact entity: Continent, Country and City.
To improve user experience, we require that the Country option set to be filtered by the Continent of the Contact. We also require the City option set to be filtered by Country chosen.
Example: If a Contact’s Continent is set to Europe, we wish to only see European countries like Ireland or Germany in the Country field. If we were to select Europe and North America in the Continent option set, we want to show countries like Ireland, Germany, USA and Canada. When the User chooses a Country like Ireland, the Cities field will be filtered to include Cork and Dublin.
We can do this using the SetPicklistValue function with Decision Tables.
Note: The 3 multi-select fields here are custom – Continents, Country and Cities. We also created 7 tabs on our Contact form – ‘Africa’,’Antarctica’,’Asia’,’Europe’,’North America’,’Oceania’,’South America’
North52 BPA Solution
The North52 BPA solution works like this:
- Two Formulas are set up on the Contact entity
- The first formula will fire whenever the Continent field is changed
- It will filter the Country field to show only countries from the Continents chosen
- It will also show the tabs for each of the selected Continents
- The second formula will fire whenever the Country field is changed
- It will filter the City field to show only countries from the Country chosen