A new knowledge base article has been published on our support portal.
In this scenario we will demonstrate how to set up a Decision Table that calculates an Insurance Premium for Used Automobiles based on a variety of Risk Factors.
For this article it is assumed that you have at least basic familiarity with Decision Tables and/or have read the following articles:
Note: We will not detail step-by-step instructions here on how to set up Conditions or Actions, please read the above articles if you need detailed configuration steps.
The rules around the insurance premium are as follows:
Vehicle Type The following are the base premiums depending on the vehicle type.
- Compact – €250
- Sedan – €300
- Luxury – €500
Vehicle Age The company does not insure new cars. Depending on the age of the vehicle apply the following charges
- Less than 3 years old – €450
- 4 to 6 years old – €350
- Older than 6 years – €250
Uninsured Motorists Additional protection available for €100 to cover damage caused to the car by other uninsured motorists.
Medical Cover There is an extra charge of €700 if the customer wants coverage for any medical bills resulting from a crash.
Potential Occupant Injury Certain vehicles are more dangerous in a collision than others. If the vehicle being insured has one of the following ratings then additional charges apply.
- Extremely High Risk – €1200
- High Risk – €900
Potential Theft Rating Certain vehicles are more likely to be stolen than others. If the vehicle's potential theft rating is High then a charge of €1500 applies
The Automobile form:
The Premium is automatically calculated by the Decison Table.
N52 Formula Manager Solution
The Formula Manager solution works like this:
- A formula of type ‘Save – To Current Record’ is created on the Automobile entity
- The Source Properties are set to all fields except for ‘Name’, ‘Owner’ and ‘Date First Registered’
- The Target Property is set to ‘Premium’
- The Event is set to ‘Create & Update’
- Exit on First Match is turned Off (unchecked)
The Calculations Table has 1 calculation in this Decision Table
- Age – used to calculate the current age of the Automobile